Published on Sunday, January 03, 2016 by Land Century
The 2010 census indicates that 8,780 people live in the town. If you are looking for land in this great city, this is the perfect location for ranching, agriculture, and oil and gas production.
The town is organized around the train depot, which links Pecos to the Texas and Pacific Railway. Most railroad-centric towns in the state weren't populated at the time of the railway construction, but this was not the case for Pecos. The small town had a camp of cattle drives along the river even before the trains arrived. After the railway was built, the city grew into a center of commerce, offering:
The small city grew dramatically in the 1960s following large-scale sulfur mining that occurred in Culberson County. Unfortunately for the small-town, when the mining production ceased in the 1990s, many of the towns residents left to find other job opportunities. In total, the city spans 7.3 mi.², with the entirety of the city being land (no bodies of water exist).
Pecos, Texas Demographics
Demographically, we have information from the 2000 census that shows the towns population has actually shrunk between 2000 and 2010. Most of the shrinking of the population was caused by the sulfur mine closing down. The census does provide some interesting information:
* 1,300 people live in each square mile of the city.
* A total of 3,680 housing units exist in the city.
* 39.9% of all households had at least one child under the age of 18.
* 59% of people residing in the city were married.
* 14.9% of households had a woman at the head of the household with no husband.
* 22.5% all households were non-family households.
* 20.4% of households were single-person households.
The population of the city is very interesting. According to census, the median age in the city is 33 years old. There are more females in the city than males, with a 100 to 93.3 ratio. These numbers worsen for the older generation, with the ratio being 100 to 89 males when the females are 18 years or older.
Median income for households was $24,943. Family median income is $26,375. Females in the city make dramatically less, with an average of $13,874, while the males earn $25,867 on average.
In the city of Pecos, Texas, the climate is very hot and is categorized as a desert climate. The winters are mild with very hot summer days and cool nights, which is common in desert areas. The temperatures are as follows:
* 82°F, on average, is the high throughout the year.
* The months of June and July have the highest average high at 99°F.
* The average low throughout the year is 49°F.
* The hottest day on record was in the month of June where temperatures reached 118°F.
* The coldest day on record was in the month of January when temperatures dropped to -9°F.
Precipitation is low in the city, with a yearly average of 10.48 inches of precipitation per year.
Pecos, Texas Land and Real Estate Information
The city of Pecoss hot and arid weather make this the perfect destination for building on lots of land. You can find several acres of land in the city for relatively cheap prices, and around the city center, prices are pretty high.
Lets take a look at some of the current listings on the market today to judge the average land prices:
* A 4,626 ft.² lot on E. 5th St. is selling for $8,000.
* A 2 acre lot on Olive Street is selling for $40,000.
* 3.7 acre lot is selling for $175,000.
* 158 acre lot on I-20 off the service road is selling for $360,000.
* A massive 217 acre lot is selling for $162,750.
You can buy a massive amount of acreage in this city for dirt cheap prices. Can you imagine what you could do with 200 acres of land? This is the perfect place to set up a ranch and start earning a lot of money in the process. Known as an agricultural hub, youll find plenty of distribution channels and ways to make money off of the land aside from building a home.
And if you're a developer, you can choose to build condos or other structures that can turn a profit. Currently, as of Q4 2015, there are 10 homes for sale in city. Lets take a quick look at what the sale prices are in the city, and what you'll get for your money:
* You could buy a 1,680 square-foot home on an 8,700 square-foot lot for $59,000. This home has three bedrooms and two bathrooms.
* A three bedroom and three bathroom, 2,600 ft.² home on a large 19 acre lot that was just built in 2015 is selling for $250,000.
* A home on Iowa Street with three bedrooms and two bathrooms on a 7,000 ft.² lot that was just built in 2015 is selling for $179,000. This home is 1,984 ft.².
There are opportunities everywhere you turn in this great city, and land is an abundance, so youll be able to find plenty of properties with massive amounts of acreage. What you do with this acreage will determine your return. Many investors are choosing to hold onto the land and really pay the taxes with the intent of selling it as the city continues to grow.
But, if youre an active investor and want to make money right away, have the option of renting out a home or becoming a cattle rancher. A lot of these properties are meant for farming or cattle ranching, but farming is limited due to the lack of rain in the summer months.
With a connection to the railroad and being a central hub for our cultural purposes, this is a great choice for any investor and the opportunities are simply unmatched in the region.